Tooth erosion occurs when the acid in foods and drinks attacks your teeth and wears the tooth enamel. This is a common dental issue in the world today because of the soda, wine, fruit juices, and acidic foods people consume each day. Another cause of tooth erosion is bulimia and acid reflux. To help you identify this common dental issue, our Smiles Dental team recommends keeping an eye out for the following signs:
· Sensitivity: Acid wears away your protective enamel. After some time, your teeth will become extremely sensitive to hot and cold foods and drinks.
· Discoloration: Acid tends to tear away the outer layer of your tooth, exposing the underlying dentin. Because the dentin is yellow, your smile will turn into a yellow color.
· Rounded teeth: Acid tends to eat away at the teeth, wearing down the corners and edges. This will make your teeth look rounded.
· Cracks: Once the enamel is eroded, cracks, chips, and roughness can appear on the edges of your smile.
· Cupping: As the acid wears down your teeth, it creates dents or small craters on the surfaces. This might also cause the dental fillings to appear to be rising out of the teeth.
If you suffer from tooth erosion, we encourage you to call 503.278.5455 at your earliest convenience and schedule an appointment with Dr. Dr. Yvonne Han. Your dentist will be happy to meet with you, examine your chompers, and give you the tips you need to improve your oral health. We look forward to your call!