Plaque is a white, sticky film that clings to your teeth and creates both tooth decay and gum disease if it’s left untreated. But instead of waiting until it takes over your smile to treat it, try preventing it in the first place. Plaque prevention is not impossible; in fact, our Smiles Dental team is happy to tell you how it’s done! If you would like to prevent plaque buildup on your smile, we recommend doing the following things:
•Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you brush for at least two minutes and you do your best to scrub each tooth thoroughly.
• Floss your smile at least once a day. You can use a flossing product of your choice—just make sure it gets the job done.
• Rinse your mouth with mouthwash daily. The mouthwash should be one that nourishes, strengthens, and deeply cleans your oral cavity.
• Eat a balanced diet and try to stay away from sugary and starchy foods.
• Make sure you use oral hygiene products that have been approved by the American Dental Association.
• Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or once your toothbrush has become worn down.
• Visit your dentist every six months for a routine cleaning and exam.
If you would like to know more about ways to fight plaque in Portland, Oregon, please remember that you can always call (503) 278-5455 and talk to your dentist, Dr. Dr. Yvonne Han. We look forward to your phone call!