How often do I need to go to the dentist?
In general, we recommend that you visit our office at least once every six months. Based on your unique dental needs, we may suggest more frequent visits to ensure that your smile stays in good health.
My teeth do not hurt and I can’t see any problems. Do I still need to visit the dentist?
Yes! Even if you cannot see any problems and your teeth do not hurt, it is important to keep up with your routine dental exams and cleanings. During these visits, our dentists and team will check for dental problems that may not be visible. Most dental diseases and problems do not cause pain or other noticeable symptoms until they have progressed to an advanced stage that requires more extensive treatment. Your routine visits also include a professional teeth cleaning, which helps to prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and other damaging conditions.
Is it okay that my gums bleed when I brush and floss?
No. It is not normal for your gums to bleed when you brush or floss. In fact, gums that bleed easily are a common symptom of gum disease. If you notice that your gums often bleed when you brush and floss, we encourage you to contact Dr. Yvonne Han to receive the treatment you need.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry includes several dental services designed to improve your smile’s appearance. Through our cosmetic dental treatments, we are able to help you correct imperfections in your smile such as broken or chipped teeth, stained or discolored teeth, cracked teeth, gapped teeth, irregularly shaped teeth, or slightly misaligned teeth.
What causes bad breath, and how can I prevent it?
Bad breath can be caused by a number of factors. Here are a few common causes of bad breath and how to combat these issues:
- Certain foods like onions and garlic – Avoiding these foods can help to keep your breath fresh.
- Untreated gum disease or tooth decay – Be sure to visit the dentist on a regular basis so we can be sure to treat any dental diseases and problems.
- Poor oral hygiene – Make certain to brush at least twice each day and floss at least once every day. Our team is happy to give you tips on how to improve your dental hygiene.
- Medical problems – A number of medical conditions can contribute to bad breath, such as chronic sinus infections, liver and kidney problems, diabetes, and dry mouth. In these cases, treating the medical condition often improves your breath as well.
If you would like more information about how to improve bad breath, please feel free to call our dentists in Portland, Oregon, today to schedule your personalized visit.
My teeth are yellowed and stained. What can I do to improve my smile’s appearance?
We understand that teeth often become dulled and discolored over time. Dr. Yvonne Han is happy to provide professional teeth whitening at Smiles Dental to help you achieve a brighter, whiter smile.
How do I know if I have gum disease?
Gum disease, which is more formally called periodontal disease, is a degenerative condition affecting the tissues that support the teeth. You may have gum disease if you suffer from the following symptoms:
- Loose teeth
- Swollen, painful gums
- Gum recession, making your teeth look longer than usual
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Painful chewing
- Pus around the teeth and gums
- Gums that look redder than usual
- A change in the way your teeth fit together or the spacing between teeth
- Gums that bleed easily
If you have noticed any of these signs of gum disease, please call us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Yvonne Han.
We invite you to contact us today at Smiles Dental for more information about dental care and how you can keep your smile healthy. We look forward to helping you take care of your smile!